Text begins with: "Señor. El Capitan Pedro Fernandez de Quiros. Despues q puse en pratica el descubrimiento de las tierras incognitas del Sur ...".
Text ends with: "Suplico a V. M. despacho enforma, y recuerdo, que se va la flota."
Decorated initial letter 'E'.
Kelly, Celsus. Calendar of documents : Spanish voyages in the South Pacific ... (1965), pp. 231-232 (item 564)
Dunn, F. M. Quiros memorials: a catalogue of memorials by Pedro Fernandez de Quiros 1607-1615 in the Dixson and Mitchell Libraries, Sydney (1961), p. 40
Hordern House. The great south land (2011), 103
Third in the series of fourteen known Quirós presentation memorials. Quirós wrote about fifty memorials addressed to the King Philip III of Spain describing the wonders of the lands he had discovered and requesting Royal support to organize a new expedition to the Southern hemisphere. The majority of them were manuscripts, but fourteen were printed between 1607 and 1614 at Quirós' expense for presentation at the Council of the Indies. Circulation of all memorials was restricted to the King, ministers and Councils of State, of War and the Indies. When it was learnt in 1610 he was distributing them beyond the court the King ordered all memorials to be recalled. The Eighth Memorial 'escaped' the Spanish borders and was translated into various languages. These so-called "presentation memorials" - to be distinguished from later derivative printings which appeared throughout Europe - are among the most valuable of all printed Australiana. This third presentation memorial provides five reasons rebutting objections against settling in the Austral Lands. They being defence needs of the Spanish empire, financial resources, money already spent, focus of conversions on South America and the lack of Spanish migrants. A very rare foundation document of Australia.?
Online images available via the State Library of NSW at: http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/album/albumView.aspx?itemID=1008773&acmsid=0 ; Digital order number a6307.
Pedro Fernandes de Queirós, also known as Pedro Fernández de Quirós, (1563-1615), was a Portuguese navigator who, after 1580, became subject to the Spanish crown when the two countries were dynastically joined. Queirós figured in Spanish maritime exploration of the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries and he is said to have been motivated by an interest in discovery for its own sake. In December 1605, with the backing of Philip III for an expedition under his own command, Queirós sailed from Callao, Peru, with the intention of finding the great southern continent thought to exist in the South Pacific Ocean. In May 1606, after finding part of the Tuamotu Archipelago, the northern Cook Islands and Tikopia, the expedition reached the New Hebrides. Believing he had discovered the "Terra australis incognita" that he was seeking for the Spanish crown Queirós named the largest island in the group Austrialia del Espiritu Santo [present day Vanuatu]. He established a short-lived settlement at St. Philip and St. James Bay before sailing to Acapulco in Mexico, where he arrived in November 1606. The second ship, with the pilot Luis Vaez de Torres, went on to sail through the Torres Strait, but almost certainly failed to sight Australia.
Following his return to Madrid in October 1607, Queirós wrote a series of about fifty memorials to Philip III reporting on his discoveries, petitioning for support to further explore and colonise the vast Austral continent. Hordern House states "the Quiros Memorials are a series of different petitions to the King, each of which present new arguments with new data and plans: they do not ... each simply make the same argument". They form a single entity. The majority of them were unpublished but thirteen were published by Queirós because of their significance. Circulation of all memorials was restricted to the King, ministers and Councils of State, of War and the Indies. It was learnt in 1610 he was distributing them beyond the court the King ordered all memorials to be recalled. The Eighth Memorial 'escaped' the Spanish borders and was translated into various languages.
Dixson Library copy: The memorial consists of 4 leaves (8 pages) of printed text foliated p. 278-280 in the upper RH corners of the recto of each leaf (except the title page, which has the numeral '2' in pencil bottom edge, centre) in ink faded to a brownish colour. All leaves are trimmed unevenly and are slightly smaller than the added blank pages. The gilding of the page edges is incomplete, possibly because of the difference in page sizes. There are annotations in faded brown coloured ink on the first 2 pages (pages: title, and 277). There are various pencil notations: title page: '2', and a single stroke (number 1?) at the bottom LHS ; '2' in the bottom LHS page 278 ; '3' in the bottom LHS page 279 ; '4' in the bottom LHS page 280 ; 'end' in the bottom RHS page 281. The paper is cream, medium weight, handmade laid. Watermark on all leaves of text pages, except the first leaf, showing similar heart-shaped design of the other Memorials (only visible under strong transmitted light.
Dixson Library copy: Full bound in brown morocco with gilt lettering and tooling and 2 raised bands on the spine. The boards appear to have bevelled edges. The binding is not contemporary with the item and is much newer (some time between 1880 and 1939). The spine is gold lettered with the call number, title and author. There is a double gold line running along the head, tail and foredge of the cover board edges. There is a design of three radiating double gold lines on each of the endcaps.On the inside of the cover - on the turn in - is a decoration consisting of an ornate pattern running around the turn in and covering the entire surface of the leather. A bookbinder's identification "Bound by Riviere & son" in small font is stamped inside front cover (within the gilded border), bottom centre of turn in. The textblock consists of the original printed memorial pamphlet which consists of 4 leaves (8 pages), extra blank pages (1 leaf at the front and 3 leaves at the back), and endpapers (pastedowns and 2 fly leaves). The edges of the textblock have been trimmed and gilded. There are sewn endbands in green and white attached at head and tail. Endleaves are of cream, medium- weight, laid paper. The pages have been trimmed and gilded like the remainder of the textblock. There is a Sir William Dixson bookplate, and a gummed library sticker (annotated in pencil) adhered to inside of front cover on the pastedown. There are pencil annotations on the front and rear pastedowns. The endpapers, extra blank pages and flyleaves have been bound in against the grain. Unable to locate sewing due to tight binding, so unable to confirm method of attachment of memorial within the textblock.